The mission of The Steamer Virginia V Foundation is to promote the Puget Sound's maritime heritage through the restoration, preservation, operation, and interpretation of the National Historic Landmark vessel S.S. Virginia V.Do you want to take a voyage through history? The Virginia V goes on public cruises throughout the year. Enjoy panoramic views as we cruise through the calm inland waters of the Northwest. Ride comfortably in our heated cabins, or step outside and feel the breeze in your face. Watch the operation of the exposed 100+ year old steam engine that quietly and safely propels the ship. With glowing wooden decks and sparkling white paint, the Virginia V is in the best shape she's been in since she was launched in 1922. View the video...
What We Do:
Take the opportunity to experience this unique treasure. The Virginia V is available for weddings, receptions, parties, corporate events, and gatherings of all sorts. But you don't need to charter the whole boat to relive the days of steam. Check our schedule of public sailings and open ship tours to see when you can hop aboard for a trip through history.
As the steward of the S.S.Virginia V, The Steamer Virginia V Foundation has the never-ending task of maintaining and operating 80+ year-old wooden steamship. Want to help? We'd love to have you join us! We are always recruiting volunteers for the positions below.
- Work Parties: People who are interested in helping with maintenance and engineering projects. We appreciate skilled people, but supervisors will provide training.
- Deck Crew & Firemen (Fire water tenders): Both deck & engineering (firemen) crew members are always needed for excursions during the regular season. Experience is preferred but not required.
- Event Coordinators: During the regular season there are a number of Public Excursions that require someone who can provide pre-planning and day-of event management and coordination.
- Docents: Our docents provide event assistance, tours of the ship and are current with historical information about the Virginia V to share with passengers during an excursion or dockside event.
- Office Help: If you have regularly available week-day hours, possess basic computer skills, can help with filing, data entry, answering phones, etc., we certainly could use your help!