Seattle Yacht Club

The last home inhabited by a Native Duwamish family stood near the site of the present-day Seattle Yacht Club. The cabin was home to Chief Chi-Siak-Ka (also known as Chodups John) and his wife Madeline until at least 1909. John and Madeline were some of the few Duwamish people who did not relocate to the Port Madison Reservation. The chief carved traditional lake canoes from red cedar logs. The Center for Wooden Boats has such a canoe, possibly made by Chi-Siak-ka, on display in its Pavilion.