Historic Ships Wharf

The wharf directly in front of the Naval Reserve is home to four Historic Ships (in order west to east):

Virginia V – 125’ wooden double-decked passenger vessel built in 1922 powered by an 1898 oil fired steam engine. The last remaining steamer of the Mosquito Fleet, she provided passenger & freight service to & from Seattle, Tacoma, and many small communities until 1972.

Arthur Foss – 112’ wooden tugboat with a green hull built in 1889, used mainly for towing logs. She was also the star of the 1933 film Tugboat Annie.

Swiftsure – 129’ iron lighthouse ship with a red hull, with her original coal fired steam engine, built in 1904. She saw duty off the coasts of California, Oregon and Washington.

Duwamish – 123’ riveted steel fireboat built in 1909, served Seattle’s waterfront until 1985.


Virginia V
Virginia V